Friday, June 5, 2009

Hole Point?

A question came to me today as I was washing dishes....What does the "hole" in "Fawkeshole" mean?

I'll start by letting you know what the Fawkes part of it is, if you haven't already guessed. It's the name of Dumbledore's phoenix in the Harry Potter series. It goes really well with my last name, and so few things *ever* go well with my last name that I couldn't pass it up as an alias. Here's a picture I drew (yes, I am in fact 5 years old):



That's Fawkes there in the back, and Dumbledore at his desk. Notice the nod to DaVinci by placing Albus' hands in the same position as Mona Lisa's, as well as the same coy smile. Also the candle symbolizing the light of truth and knowledge cuz he's a Headmaster of a school. And the fact that Fawkes is perched behind his head, meaning that his wisdom, like a phoenix, survives forever...yeeeeeeeah, I'm not above plaigiarism and painfully obvious metaphors. Oh and the curtains...yeah, they're just curtains.

Now my good friend Matt Bahn (http://blueman-in-a-redstate.blogspot.com/) came up with this really great name in, like, two shakes of a lambs tail (he's secretly brilliant), and I love it. But I wonder what the latter half of it could mean...Poll time!

THE "HOLE" IN "FAWKESHOLE" MEANS:

(A) My mouth. From whence all this stuff would come if we were all in the same place and our conversations led to these topics.

(B) My eyes, through which I see the world, process it, then bring my thoughts about it here---though it would have to be plural because I don't wear an eye-patch.

(C) My ass. Which, I'll be honest, is where most of the stuff I'll write here is pulled from.

(D) fox ⋅ hole[foks-hohl] – noun, a small pit [or blog], usually for one or two soldiers [artists], dug as a shelter [and form of free expression] in a battle area [a.k.a: the world].

Pick one in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I immediately thought of the foxhole in battle--I like it because soldiers would bond in foxholes, telling the stories of their lives and confessing secrets. I think that goes along with a blog quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...wouldn't a one act--or even a whole play!--be pretty awesome if it took place entirely in a foxhole with just two chracters...Damn you Chrostopher! now I wanna write that!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WRITE IT!

    and yeah, i'm with chris on that. My choice would be D fo shizzle. (just when you thought i couldn't be ny whiter..)

    ReplyDelete